New evaluation release (June 2013): WCF Load Test Version Version 4.0-ALPHA Build 4.0.13.0611
This release has had very limited testing and so must be considered Alpha quality. Please provide your feedback on the quality of this release so its status can be amended if its quality is good.
This is a maintenance release that makes the following changes:
- Adds support for .NET 4.0 assemblies.
- Adds support for Visual Studio 2012.
- Removed support for Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Studio 2008.
- Fixes a bug if the Name property of the ServiceContract attribute is used.
- Disposes DataSets in the generated code.
- Adds some Code Analysis suppressions to the generated code.
- Source code updated to be a Visual Studio 2012 project.
Candid feedback welcome!
WCF Load Test Version 3.0 for Visual Studio 2010
This update contains a number of improvements to the WCF Load Test tool. . The release still maintains the beta tag because it has not been widely tested prior to release. It includes the following improvements:
- Provides support for DataSets
- Delivers support for duplex contracts
- Can handle ASMX services, even without a WCF client, which comes from the capability to process Fiddler2 traces
- Automatically filters out NullMessage messages which can appear in service-side message logs
- Verifies that the right kind of message log has been provided
- nitializes out parameters in the stub methods so that generated code will always compile without modification
- No longer locks the assemblies after the wizard has been used
- Provides improved error reporting
At the time of the last release it was said that it would be the last release to support Visual Studio 2008. However, there has not been a need to do this, so this release is still supported in Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Studio 2010, it will probably
also still work with Visual Studio 2005, but this has not been tested.
See more details in included Usage Notes document.
This tool takes a WCF trace file and a WCF client proxy, or a WCF interface contract, and generates a C# unit test that replays the same sequence of calls found in the trace file. The unit test can then be used to load-test the target
Visual Studio ALM Rangers
This guidance is created by the Visual Studio ALM Rangers, who have the mission to provide out of band solutions for missing features and/or guidance. This content was created with support from Microsoft Product Group, members of Microsoft Services, Microsoft
Most Valued Professionals (MVPs) and technical specialists from technology communities around the globe, giving you a real-world view from the field, where the technology has been tested and used.
The WCF Load Test for VS 2008 adds support for ASMX web services. Download it from
The tool has the following main features:
- Replay of captured scenario in a unit test that can be included in a load test.
- Support for the DataContractSerializer.
- Support for message contracts.
- ASMX support (beta)
- Support for proxies generated using svcutil.
- Support for clients that create proxies at run time from contract interfaces.
- Supports calls to multiple services in a single scenario.
- Supports multiple calls to the same service operation.
- Filtering by SOAP action of which messages in the trace to replay.
- Readable and modifiable code is generated.
- Automatic association of trace message with proxy method (requires all operations to have a unique SOAP action).
- Support for client and server side traces.
- A command line tool for processing traces and generating code.
- Visual Studio 2005/2008 integration (Team Developer, Team Test, Team Suite and for 2008 also Professional)) that can be used instead of the command line tool.
Bijan Javidi, Rob Jarratt
How to submit new ideas?
The recommended method is to post ideas to the
Discussions Page or to contact the Rangers at
Post comments on the Discussions Page.