New release (November 2010): WCF Load Test Version 3.0 (Beta) for Visual Studio 2010
This update contains a number of improvements to the WCF Load Test tool. . The release still maintains the beta tag because it has not been widely tested prior to release. It includes the following improvements:
- Provides support for DataSets
- Delivers support for duplex contracts
- Can handle ASMX services, even without a WCF client, which comes from the capability to process Fiddler2 traces
- Automatically filters out NullMessage messages which can appear in service-side message logs
- Verifies that the right kind of message log has been provided
- nitializes out parameters in the stub methods so that generated code will always compile without modification
- No longer locks the assemblies after the wizard has been used
- Provides improved error reporting
At the time of the last release it was said that it would be the last release to support Visual Studio 2008. However, there has not been a need to do this, so this release is still supported in Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Studio 2010, it will probably also still work with Visual Studio 2005, but this has not been tested.
See more details in included Usage Notes document.
This tool takes a WCF trace file and a WCF client proxy, or a WCF interface contract, and generates a C# unit test that replays the same sequence of calls found in the trace file. The unit test can then be used to load-test the target
Visual Studio ALM Rangers
This guidance was created in a Visual Studio ALM Ranger project. VS ALM Rangers is a special group with members from the Visual Studio Product Team and Microsoft Services. Their mission is to provide out of band solutions for missing features or guidance.
WCF Load Test Version 3.0 (Beta) for Visual Studio 2008
The WCF Load Test for VS 2008 adds support for ASMX web services. Download it from here
The tool has the following main features:
- Replay of captured scenario in a unit test that can be included in a load test.
- Support for the DataContractSerializer.
- Support for message contracts.
- ASMX support (beta)
- Support for proxies generated using svcutil.
- Support for clients that create proxies at run time from contract interfaces.
- Supports calls to multiple services in a single scenario.
- Supports multiple calls to the same service operation.
- Filtering by SOAP action of which messages in the trace to replay.
- Readable and modifiable code is generated.
- Automatic association of trace message with proxy method (requires all operations to have a unique SOAP action).
- Support for client and server side traces.
- A command line tool for processing traces and generating code.
- Visual Studio 2005/2008 integration (Team Developer, Team Test, Team Suite and for 2008 also Professional)) that can be used instead of the command line tool.