This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Facing error while creating WCF load test by server side log.

Oct 26, 2010 at 6:59 AM

Hi,

I am trying to create WCF unit test for Silverlight application. For that I have captured server side logs for that and while creating unit test I am facing following exception:

"The message log did not contain any usable data. Please make sure that LogMessageAtServiceLevel and LogEntireMessage are set"

To cature the server side log I configre my config:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
 <system.diagnostics>
  <sources>
   <source name="System.ServiceModel.MessageLogging" switchValue="Warning, ActivityTracing">
    <listeners>
     <add type="System.Diagnostics.DefaultTraceListener" name="Default">
      <filter type="" />
     </add>
     <add name="ServiceModelMessageLoggingListener">
      <filter type="" />
     </add>
    </listeners>
   </source>
  </sources>
  <sharedListeners>
   <add initializeData="Path of log file(c:\trace\.svclog"
    type="System.Diagnostics.XmlWriterTraceListener, System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"
    name="ServiceModelMessageLoggingListener" traceOutputOptions="Timestamp">
    <filter type="" />
   </add>
  </sharedListeners>
 </system.diagnostics>
 <appSettings>
  <!-- The amount of time (in seconds) that reports are cached -->
  <add key="CacheTimeout" value="600" />
 </appSettings>
 <system.serviceModel>
  <diagnostics>
   <messageLogging logEntireMessage="true" logMalformedMessages="false"
    logMessagesAtServiceLevel="true" logMessagesAtTransportLevel="false" />
  </diagnostics>
 </system.serviceModel>
</configuration>

Please help me in this issue.

Thanks,

Pradeep

Coordinator
Oct 26, 2010 at 8:13 AM

I can't see anything immediately wrong with the config you have. Have you checked that the config file was actually in the runtime directory and looked in the message log to check that messages really were logged? Remember also that you have to tell the tool that this is a service-side log, so please check that you did so; in the wizard there is a check box, if you are using the command line you have to set it in the config file that is passed as a command line parameter.

If you are happy with all the checks above then I am interested to see the log. If you contact me via the Contacts page we can arrange for you to send me the log file.

Regards

Rob

Oct 26, 2010 at 8:46 AM
Hi,
1. Yes,config file is in runtime directory.
2. Messages are logged in 'svclog' file. I can see the messages with WCF details by service trace viewer in 'Messages' section
3. I have used 'Wizard' and selected 'Server Side' to generate WCF load test. I didn't use comman line.
Please tell me which file do you need?
Thanks,
Pradeep
Jun 15, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Any solutions for this issue yet.  Im seeing the same issue that trace file does not get generated properly.  I have to manually remove the last item in the trace.

Jul 26, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Hi Rob,

any result? I'm facing the same issue.

I'm trying to run the test against the production, got the point where the assembly is required, I added reference to a copy of assemblies (I copied design time reference dlls from development environment to my loadtest server), after I clicked next, got error saying "The message log did not contain any usable data. Please make sure that LogMessageAtServiceLevel and LogEntireMessage are set".  by hte way, my application is Silverlight 4 app, the wcf services are within the solution, and when the app is deployed, I got a .xap file under the ClientBin folder.  I unxipped it, tried to reference all dlls, failed on error of "can not load file or assembly of blablabla".  so I tried to use compile time reference dll copied from development machine).

Please and thanks.

william

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:27 PM
Sorry I'm not rob

Sent from my Windows Phone

Sent: 7/26/2012 2:14 PM
To: adnank2003@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Facing error while creating WCF load test by server side log. [WCFLoadTest:232317]

Hi Rob,

any result? I'm facing the same issue.

I'm trying to run the test against the production, got the point where the assembly is required, I added reference to a copy of assemblies (I copied design time reference dlls from development environment to my loadtest server), after I clicked next, got error saying "The message log did not contain any usable data. Please make sure that LogMessageAtServiceLevel and LogEntireMessage are set". by hte way, my application is Silverlight 4 app, the wcf services are within the solution, and when the app is deployed, I got a .xap file under the ClientBin folder. I unxipped it, tried to reference all dlls, failed on error of "can not load file or assembly of blablabla". so I tried to use compile time reference dll copied from development machine).

Please and thanks.

william

Jul 27, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Hi akhan, could you tell me how you manually delete the last item in your trace? thx.

Coordinator
Jul 28, 2012 at 1:00 AM

The tool does not work with Silverlight assemblies, nor does it work with .NET 4.0 assemblies. I plan to update it soon to at least support 4.0 assemblies.

Regards

Rob