This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Tool not added to Visual Studio 2008

Dec 15, 2008 at 11:21 PM
I have Visual Studio 2008 Team System  installed. Due to backward compatability, I needed to load Visual Studio 2005 as a side-by-side installation. I installed WCF LoadTest and it does not appear to have added the Load test add-in to either VS 2005 or VS 2008. Is there some way to force loading to VS 2008?
Coordinator
Dec 16, 2008 at 6:21 AM
In the sources I have the script that is implemented in the MSI to install WCF Load Test into the IDE, you can use this script to install the tool manualy:

copy wcfunit.zip "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\CSharp\1033"

copy wcfunit.zip "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\CSharp\1033"

"%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0\Bin\gacutil" -i bin\debug\Microsoft.WcfUnit.VSIntegration.dll

"%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0\Bin\gacutil" -i bin\debug\Microsoft.WcfUnit.Library.dll

"%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /installvstemplates

"%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /setup

"%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /installvstemplates

"%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /setup

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:34 PM
Edited Dec 16, 2008 at 3:30 PM
  1. Where is wcfunit.zip?
  2. I found "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\CSharp\1033\WcfUnit9.zip" already exists. Is that something different?
  3. Are the steps you provided above the "script"?

In addition, because I removed VS 2005 Pro, I found that the conversion wizard failed for the WcfLoadTest.sln due to "read-only" attributes set on three of the files in the downloaded zip. I was able to succesfully convert to VS 2008 after removing the read-only settings, however the compile of the entire solution is failing on the following errors:

1. Error 12 CA0001 : The following error was encountered while reading module 'Microsoft.WcfUnit.VSIntegration': Assembly reference not resolved: EnvDTE, Version=7.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a. Project: VSIntegration
  2. Error 13 CA0058 : The referenced assembly 'EnvDTE, Version=7.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' could not be found. This assembly is required for analysis and was referenced by: 'Microsoft.WcfUnit.VSIntegration.dll'. Project: VSIntegration
  3. Error 15 The command "
    "%ProgramFiles%\Wix\candle" -w0 -wx "F:\Downloads\WCF LoadTest\Source\Installer\CustomActions.wxs" "F:\Downloads\WCF LoadTest\Source\Installer\InstallerCore.wxs" "F:\Downloads\WCF LoadTest\Source\Installer\InstallerEn.wxs"
    if errorlevel 1 goto Done

"%ProgramFiles%\Wix\light" -w0 -wx "InstallerEn.wixobj" "InstallerCore.wixobj" "CustomActions.wixobj"  -loc "F:\Downloads\WCF LoadTest\Source\Installer\English2057.wxl" -out "F:\Downloads\WCF LoadTest\Source\\Bin\WcfUnitEn.msi"
    "%ProgramFiles%\MsiVal2\MsiVal2" "F:\Downloads\WCF LoadTest\Source\\Bin\WcfUnitEn.msi" "%ProgramFiles%\MsiVal2\darice.cub" -f

:Done
    " exited with code 3. Installer

Coordinator
Dec 16, 2008 at 2:50 PM
Sorry, I did not give you enough detail to do this. You need to build the sources, as part of that it will create a file called wcfunit.zip which you can find in the VSIntegration folder. You may also be able to find it already deployed in the template folders listed in the script I posted.
Dec 16, 2008 at 3:32 PM
I didn't expect you to reply so quickly. :)

I have been playing with the source and modified my previous post to reflect my current state... I was getting conversion errors at first, but got past that. Now I am getting compile errors as stated above.
Coordinator
Dec 16, 2008 at 10:04 PM
To build WCF Load Test you need Visual Studio 2005, and integration with 2008 depends on some 2005 components being on the machine. I have not done a full conversion to 2008 as yet.

wcfunit9.zip is right for and is the same file for VS 2005 abd VS 2008, I think I may have looked at an old script, but the basic steps are still valid.