How to use WCF load test tool

Aug 19, 2009 at 11:30 AM

I down loaded code  and installed wcf loadtesttool. and gone through the user notes.

I  have doubts regarding

1. Where to do messages log file settings? and where shall i copy this messages log settings file

2.How to generate trace file and where to copy it?

Thanks

Coordinator
Aug 19, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Have you read the Usage Notes document and the tried the labs included in the download? You should find most of the information you need in those materials. If you still have questions then please reply to this message.

Regards

Rob

Aug 20, 2009 at 9:49 AM
Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply.I gone through labs and and usage notes documents.In Labs i gone through this SampleAsmxClientAndService  application and i didn't find any trace file can you please  help me.

1. Where to do messages log file settings? and where shall i copy this messages log settings file

2.How to generate trace file and where to copy it?

Thanks
Suneetha.

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 5:22 PM, robjarratt <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Have you read the Usage Notes document and the tried the labs included in the download? You should find most of the information you need in those materials. If you still have questions then please reply to this message.

Regards

Rob

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (WCFLoadTest@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email WCFLoadTest@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Aug 20, 2009 at 10:03 AM

The log file settings go in the configuration file along with all the other WCF settings. If you use the Service Config Editor to edit the app.config or web.config as shown in the usage notes it will set the settings you need. App.config file need to be in the same directory as the executable, web.config files need to be in the root directory of the web service, in other words the standard config file rules apply. If I have misunderstood the question please let me know.

The message log file is automatically created when you set the settings as described above. You can put it anywhere you like. When you use the wizard or the command line to process a pre-captured trace file you just need to give the tool the path to the file.

If you are using the wizard to run the client app for you, then all of the above is handled for you.

Aug 20, 2009 at 10:34 AM
Suppose I have developed a web site , for which i need to do load testing using wcf loadtesting tool.Can you please tell me step by step procedure.what needs to be done.

Thanks
Suneetha.

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 3:34 PM, robjarratt <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

The log file settings go in the configuration file along with all the other WCF settings. If you use the Service Config Editor to edit the app.config or web.config as shown in the usage notes it will set the settings you need. App.config file need to be in the same directory as the executable, web.config files need to be in the root directory of the web service, in other words the standard config file rules apply. If I have misunderstood the question please let me know.

The message log file is automatically created when you set the settings as described above. You can put it anywhere you like. When you use the wizard or the command line to process a pre-captured trace file you just need to give the tool the path to the file.

If you are using the wizard to run the client app for you, then all of the above is handled for you.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (WCFLoadTest@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email WCFLoadTest@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Aug 20, 2009 at 10:48 AM

I assume you mean a web service rather than a web site.

You have two options. If you have a .NET client program that uses the WCF service you can capture the message log on the client by setting the message log settings in the app.config file. If you do not have a .NET client then you can configure the message log on the service side by configuring the settings in the web.config file. The lab covers both scenarios.

Regards

Rob

Aug 20, 2009 at 11:06 AM
Ok ,Using WCF Loadtesting tool we can test only webservices..?

If So,I gone through labs example "SampleAsmxClientAndService".In this wehere can I find trace file and message log file.

Thanks
Suneetha.

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 4:18 PM, robjarratt <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

You have two options. If you have a .NET client program that uses the WCF service you can capture the message log on the client by setting the message log settings in the app.config file. If you do not have a .NET client then you can configure the message log on the service side by configuring the settings in the web.config file. The lab covers both scenarios.

Regards

Rob

Aug 20, 2009 at 11:18 AM
In this example "SampleAsmxClientAndService",I didnt find any thing realted to WCF Tool.it has one web service which with two methods add and  sub taking two input parameters and console application to display results.

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Suneetha Inturi <inturi.suneetha@gmail.com> wrote:
Ok ,Using WCF Loadtesting tool we can test only webservices..?

If So,I gone through labs example "SampleAsmxClientAndService".In this wehere can I find trace file and message log file.

Thanks
Suneetha.

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 4:18 PM, robjarratt <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Regards

Rob

Coordinator
Aug 20, 2009 at 11:31 AM

The current release has a new feature that allows the tool to support ASMX services as well. SampleAsmxClientAndService is a sample used to show that feature and does not use WCF. If you look at the lab on ASMX services you will see that it uses Fiddler2 to collect the message log. The other sample in the labs does use WCF.

Regards

Rob

Coordinator
Aug 20, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Sorry I missed your other question. The tool is indeed only intended for testing of web services. Visual Studio already has features for load testing web sites.

Regards

Rob

Aug 20, 2009 at 12:51 PM
Thank you Rob for your support.

Suppose i have  my web service in C:\Services\Myservice. And now I want to test it using WCF load testing tool.

1.If i am not wrong i need to have trace file to do testing with WCF right?

2.Using fiddler we can generate trace( file of my service) file right..? where shall i copy that trace file

3.I have an option in visual studio tools  "WCF service configuration Editor".Here i can configure message log settings. where shall i save this file.

Thanks
Suneetha.

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 5:01 PM, robjarratt <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

The current release has a new feature that allows the tool to support ASMX services as well. SampleAsmxClientAndService is a sample used to show that feature and does not use WCF. If you look at the lab on ASMX services you will see that it uses Fiddler2 to collect the message log. The other sample in the labs does use WCF.

Regards

Rob

Coordinator
Aug 20, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Let's be clear first, are you testing an ASMX web service or a WCF service?

You are right though, you always need a message log file, whether it is ASMX or WCF.

If it is ASMX then use Fiddler to capture the message log. If it is WCF use the Service Config Editor to set the WCF settings which control the message log. In either case it is immaterial where you actually place the log, it is just a file and you can put it anywhere you choose. When you run the tool, after collecting the message log, you can tell it where to find the trace.

If you are testing a WCF service using a .NET client you need to save the app.config file for the .NET client that contains the WCF settings in the same directory as the executable. If you are testing a WCF service without a .NET client you need to collect a service side trace by editing the web service's web.config file.

I hope this helps

Regards

Rob

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:55 AM
Thanks Rob. I am testing an ASMX webservice.

using fiddler I can get trace file.Now tell me how to run the tool and how to  tell(or where to specify) trace file path and message log file path.

Thanks
Suneetha.

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 6:35 PM, robjarratt <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Let's be clear first, are you testing an ASMX web service or a WCF service?

You are right though, you always need a message log file, whether it is ASMX or WCF.

If it is ASMX then use Fiddler to capture the message log. If it is WCF use the Service Config Editor to set the WCF settings which control the message log. In either case it is immaterial where you actually place the log, it is just a file and you can put it anywhere you choose. When you run the tool, after collecting the message log, you can tell it where to find the trace.

If you are testing a WCF service using a .NET client you need to save the app.config file for the .NET client that contains the WCF settings in the same directory as the executable. If you are testing a WCF service without a .NET client you need to collect a service side trace by editing the web service's web.config file.

I hope this helps

Regards

Rob

Coordinator
Aug 21, 2009 at 7:04 AM

I should have pointed out the following. The released documentation and tool refer to the "trace" file, however this has been confusing a few people because WCF has the concept of both a trace file and a message log file. The tool actually uses the WCF message log file rather than the WCF trace file, so I have started to use the term "message log" now rather than "trace", and I use this term both for WCF and ASMX services. The next release of the tool and the documentation will be corrected to use this terminology correctly. So in your comment above about the message log file and the trace file, they are actually the same thing. I hope that clears up the confusion.

If you are still unclear about how to use the tool please refer to the Usage Notes document and the lab that come with the tool. These materials cover using the tool in the way you wish to use it. If those materials do not help you then please help me to improve them by telling me which bits are unclear.